JOINT MEDIA RELEASE
State Illawarra Labor MPs have today congratulated the new Premier, Gladys Berejiklian on her selection by the Liberal Party to lead the State Government.
Ryan Park MP, Anna Watson MP and Paul Scully MP have also written a joint letter to the new Premier outlining a number of key issues, which must be addressed by the Government, including:
- Reversing the Government’s opposition on the Steel Industry Protection Bill;
- Installing lifts at Unanderra station;
- Commencing construction of the Albion Park Rail by-pass;
- Reversing the proposed merger of Wollongong and Shellharbour Councils;
- Reversing the proposed privatisation of Shellharbour Hospital and its impact on other health services in the region such as Port Kembla Hospital;
- Constructing infrastructure connections with south-west Sydney, western Sydney and Sydney CBD;
- Upgrading of the WIN Entertainment Centre;
- Relocating of public sector jobs to the Illawarra;
- Provision of infrastructure for West Dapto;
- Reversing the decision to award the contract to build new train carriages to a company in South Korea; and
- Clearing the school maintenance backlog in the Illawarra and confirming that the Illawarra will have no further TAFE campus closures or downgrades.
The move by State Illawarra MPs follows the new Premier’s public comments over the weekend and today indicating that she intends to ‘reset’ the Government, as well as provide local communities with the local infrastructure they need, and ensure each area across NSW gets a fair share.
Comments attributable to Ryan Park MP:
“We congratulate the new Premier and we have jointly written to her today taking up her invitation to let her know about the priorities the Illawarra has, which were ignored by her predecessor.
“We’re keen to work with the new Premier and we hope she responds to our agenda co-operatively.”
Comments attributable to Anna Watson MP:
“There are two key issues in my electorate that I want the new Premier to understand and address.
“We want the Albion Park Rail bypass project started and the proposed privatisation of Shellharbour Hospital stopped.”
Comments attributable to Paul Scully MP:
“The new Premier has an opportunity to – in her words – ‘reset’ the Government’s relationship with the Illawarra region.
“We have been fighting for the Government to recognise the infrastructure needs of Wollongong and the region, and our joint letter outlines where we can all work together to ensure this region gets its fair share – we just need a Premier who will listen and deliver.”
23 January 2017