There are just 48 hours remaining for any member of the public to lodge a submission with the Expert Panel inquiring into political donations, Member for Shellharbour, Anna Watson, said today.
Public written submissions may be lodged until Wednesday, 17 September 2014.
“This is an important inquiry into a crucial issue that goes to the heart of the political process in New South Wales.
“I think there isn’t anyone in the State who isn’t angry at the revelations which have been part of recent Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) hearings.
“I would encourage any member of the public who wants to share their views on political donations to lodge a submission with the Expert Panel remembering that the closing date is on Wednesday”, she said.
Ms Watson that the focus of the political donations inquiry is on:
- whether it is possible and advisable to introduce full public funding of election campaigns?
- If public funding is not appropriate should more public funding be available for election campaigns?
- What limits should be place on political donations?
- Should election campaign spending be constrained?
- What other reforms should be introduced to improve fairness and transparency?
The Expert Panel has published a series of working papers and an issues paper which are available here.
15 September 2014