Member for Shellharbour Anna Watson has welcomed the announcement that a Liberal candidate has been preselected for the seat of Shellharbour ahead of the State election in March next year.
“I congratulate my political opponent on pre-selection endorsement.
“There is no greater honour for a major party candidate than to be endorsed by one’s political party as a candidate for election.
“I look forward to a clean and fair campaign based on the issues and our respective political positions.
“I have very clear priorities for my electorate, including:
- Kick starting the construction of the Albion Park Rail bypass;
- Upgrading Shellharbour Hospital;
- Fighting for fairer schools funding for all our local schools;
- Securing more funding to build better roads at Dapto and West Dapto following the $40 million provided to Wollongong City Council by the former State and Federal Labor Government’s since 2010;
- Fighting to enhance TAFE campuses, including saving Dapto TAFE from cuts;
- Building new toilet facilities at the Shellharbour Junction station, embarrassingly not included in the build after the Minister for Transport ‘opened’ it last week;
- Restoring the Lake Illawarra Authority, and;
- Helping build local community facilities in partnership with local community groups.
“My Liberal opponent wants to con the people of my electorate into selling off poles and wires for the benefit of Sydney residents.
“We get no new roads, no new community infrastructure and no new health infrastructure from the NSW Liberals’ sell-off..
“All we get is higher electricity prices, which IPART confirms have gone up by 35 percent in the Illawarra since the Liberals’ were elected in March 2011.
“The Liberals own partner in government – the Nationals’ – don’t trust Mike Baird because they’ve demanded poles and wires remain in public hands in country areas.
“If the Nationals don’t trust the Liberals, why should the people of Shellharbour electorate”, Ms Watson said.
30 November 2014