The Premier has been asked a series of questions on notice by Member for Shellharbour Anna Watson today about any meetings he or Ministers in the State Government have had with BlueScope Steel representatives to discuss the state of the steel industry and the on-going operation of the Port Kembla steel works.
“As the Illawarra continues to reel from the revelations that BlueScope Steel management has threatened to close down the Port Kembla plant, I am surprised the Premier has had so little to say about it.
“I think it’s very important that we get a sense from the State Government about any meetings and discussions which may have been held with BlueScope Steel and whether any specific requests have been made of the Premier.
“I am very disappointed that BlueScope Steel management have thrown a cloak of silence over everything since the closure threat bombshell was let off nearly a fortnight ago now.
“We’re all still waiting for the company to come clean about its plans for the future of steel making in the region.
“I’m really quite concerned that the State Government does not seem to be engaged in just how significant this threat by BlueScope Steel management is”, Ms Watson said.
Text of Ms Watson’s Questions on Notice to the Premier:
QUESTION ON NOTICE
Ms Watson to ask the Premier:
- Has the Premier or any other Minister in the State Government met with BlueScope Steel representatives to discuss the state of the steel industry, and in particular, the on-going operation of the Port Kembla steel works?
- If so, what was the date of the meeting and who were the participants?
- What matters were discussed?
- Did BlueScope Steel make any specific requests of the State Government?
- If so, what are those requests?
23 June 2015